A commercial court in Madrid has barred football governing bodies FIFA and UEFA from blocking the launch of the newly formed European Super League.
This follows plans by the football governing bodies to sanction the 12 clubs that had signed up as members of the breakaway league.
However, Independent UK reports that the commercial court on Tuesday ruled that neither FIFA nor UEFA or any other associated football body could take “any measure that prohibits, restricts, limits or conditions in any way the launch of the league until the court has fully considered the case.”
The competition which is hoped to rival the UEFA Champions League has largely been criticised by football governing bodies at different level.
Already, the Premier League had revealed its intention to sanction the six English teams that signed up for the breakaway league.
Also Oliver Dowden, UK sports minister, on Monday said Britain will do everything possible to put a stop to the newly formed European Super League.
“We are examining every option from governance reform to competition law and mechanisms that allow football to take place. Put simply, we will be reviewing everything the government does to support these clubs to play,” he said.
Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin has registered his opposition to the Super League. FIFA President Gianni Infantino on Monday also said the breakaway clubs would have to face consequences of their action as they would not be allowed to operate their league within the established football ecosystem.
FIFA had in January said that a breakaway league would not be recognised and that “any club or player involved in such a competition would as a consequence not be allowed to participate in any competition organised by FIFA or their respective confederation.”